Eska Graphic Board in its current combination of two mills was established 1 January 1994 as a result of the merger between Cartonfabriek Beukema and Kappa Karton. In 1998 the name was changed into Kappa Graphic Board and in October 2006 into Eska Graphic Board. This is when, after many years of being part of a larger group, Eska Graphic Board became an independent company, owned by an investment company and the management team.
The history of the two mills goes back a long time. The mill in Sappemeer was founded by W.A. Scholten in 1879. W.A. Scholten was a Dutch industrial entrepreneur who owned several mills in the Northern part of the Netherlands. In its early years “Stroopapier- en Cartonfabriek van W.A. Scholten” produced 100 tonnes of paper board per week, using straw as raw material.
The mill in Hoogezand was built by J.E. Scholten (son of W.A. Scholten) and F.F. Beukema (a lawyer). From 1899 onwards, F.F. Beukema continued on his own, which marked the official start of Cartonfabriek Beukema. Already in the early years, F.F. Beukema chose the frog as company logo.
The brandname ESKA®BOARD was chosen when export became more and more important for Cartonfabriek Beukema. Eskaboard derives from the abbreviation of “Spoorkaartjes Karton” (railway ticket board), which was used worldwide for the production of railway tickets. Eska could be pronounced properly in English and was – and still is – a short and powerful name.